Summy

In this blog, I will be informing you about the top ten worst disasters in my opinion. There will be information about the disaster, why I think its one of the worst and other information such as how I think it could've been avoided.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

2010 Haiti Earthquake #8

For the people that are reading this blog, I had a little I guess you could say a contest of sorts at the end of my second blog. The first person to comment a disaster, that disaster I will do a blog segment on and also mention them in the blog. So the winner of this contest is (drum roll please).......... Matthew Bolton! Not a surprise because I was talking to him and told him to read my first post right after I was done, but I do thank him for reading my blog and participating in this game of mine and all the others that participated and are reading (but I'm thanking Matt the most because he's a winner). I was trying to avoid doing two types of the same disaster one after the other but what convinced me to accually go through with it (besides the whole contest thing to be fair) was that this one is souly an earthquake. The past one is both earthquake and tsunami, so I went through with it. 

One more thing before I start with the disaster of Matt's choice of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, I wanted to mention that I have put a game on my blog that is quite fun, you all should play it (link at the bottom of the page). PG-13 because you kill people with disasters. I think everyone is of age. I have also added a voting box where you can vote on what you guys think is the worst disaster between four choices and I will take it into consideration for other posts (No I won't it's my opinion on what is going to be on my blog. Felt powerful didn't ya? This ain't no democracy, this is my monarchy. Anyways, let's start with with the actual disaster shall we?

                                I wanted to start with a picture to give a visual of the damage
                                was caused in this earthquake because it's really important.

So this earthquake had started January 12th, 2010, in places such as Haiti, the Dominican Republic and others in the area. The reason I think it's mostly reffered as the Haiti earthquake is that Haiti was the most effected by the whole thing. The initial magnitude was 7.0 which is pretty high and had multiple aftershocks at magnitudes of around 5.9. What I've learned reading up on earthquakes and just humain stupidity with the logic we have. It's not the initial earthquake that kills the most of the people, it's the aftershocks that kill more because we constantly underestimate stuff like this. We get a 7.0 and we think that that's it for the disaster, we don't think of aftershocks. People are unready for the multiple aftershocks and they just die. Well, aftershocks and starvation after the destruction of fields and stores that the people go through. 

Haiti earthquake of 2010
                                Here are the areas that were affected by the earthquake that I
                                had found quite interesting. (It's big because I wanted to make
                                sure that the names are clearly visable)


Another big factor that makes disasters in this type of region is the living conditions. Have you seen the houses in the first picture? How they're all really close to eachother? That makes a disaster even worse because there is a higher density of population in the area. The population density in Haiti is 374 people per square kilometer. Now let's use Canada as example, it's population density is 4. No if this happened in let's say a square kilometer. In Haiti, 374 are affected by this earthquake, in Canada only 4 people are. With that logic, I'd rather this had happened in Canada instead. Back on track, that population doesn't only mean more people get affected, with all the houses, it makes it harder to escape from debris and such, it also makes it harder to evacuate people, reach people and help injured people. With over 3,500,000 people affected by the earthquake, 300,00 injured and 220.000 estimated dead, this was definetly a very affecting disaster and I definetly think it's in the right spot in the countdown to #1.

I want to thank all the readers and all of you that are commenting to help me improve my blog it's been a real help. Thanks to Matt again for picking a fitting #8. Keep reading everyone, remember it just keeps getting better and more interesting as we go along. Sorry I didn't put a video on this time. It was late and I really enjoy sleep.

Till next time!  

Sources:
-http://www.britannica.com/event/Haiti-earthquake-of-2010 
-http://www.dec.org.uk/articles/haiti-earthquake-facts-and-figures
-https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1JUFK_enCA506CA510&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=haiti%27s+population+density

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jared, your blog is very great and I can see that your opinion is always included. I love the way you use pictures which help the readers understand in a better way. I am learning a lot while reading your blog, such as the population density and a couple big words. I also really like your sense of humour! I am looking forward to reading your next posts!

    ReplyDelete