Summy

In this blog, I will be informing you about the top ten worst disasters in my opinion. There will be information about the disaster, why I think its one of the worst and other information such as how I think it could've been avoided.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Cyclone Nargis #7

It's been a little bit since I wrote a blog so don't blame me for this one being a little less cool or interesting. It's not my fault. Anyways before we start I just wanted to say that this next one I don't know if it's going to be as deadly as the others but, it's always going to be a good one so sit tight and buckle your seatbelts. It's always going to be a bumpy ride!

So this is the first time that I ever do a cyclone and for thoses who don't know this, a hurricane, cyclone, typhoon, etc. They're all the same things. The only difference is the region that they are in. See? You learn something knew everyday? Unless you knew that already then well... You will learn something if you keep reading so stay tuned! We have quite a bit to uncover.


                                This should give you guys an idea of the different areas that
                                the different storms appear in and affect. As you can see, a lot
                                of the areas are covered by cyclones/ Which is what I'm
                                covering.

So if you haven't read the title which is unlikely. But if you haven't, today my post is on Cyclone Nargis. This cyclone made landfall Mai the 8th, 2008 in Myanmar which is near Thailand and Vietnam (if that gives you an idea where) and spent over 2 days destroying the area as much as it could. It caused massive damage in 37 different towns in the area and in 7 of thoses, there was more than 95% of the town destroyed. That means that 95% of peoples houses, work places, buisnesses, grocery stores, are destroyed. Now 95% of people in thoses towns are now homeless, have lost their jobs, have a harder time getting food, etc. It's always the afterstorm that kills the most and causes the most despair and suffering than the storm itself. The cyclone left a total of over 1.5 million people suffering from sickness or famine.

    
This is actually the greatest picture I could have ever found and I'm very thankful I found it. This shows a perfect representation of what I said about the 95% of everything was destroyed. As you can see, almost everything in this picture except a house in the top left corner and the blue one in the center top. (the one that looks close to the camera looks like it was made afterwards so I'm not going to count it as one) This is what they had to deal with and even clean up if they wanted to keep living here.

                                Here's a picture of the area it was in. That's it. What? You
                                wanted more? How greedy of you! Well I'd never!

With all the wreckage and damage, there was a total of over 100,000 deaths total. Some of which actually went missing and were never found so they were marked as dead. I just calculated this but around 3% of people of Myanmar was affected and 0.2% of people were killed in the cyclone. Now to some, they may think that's not that much but you have to think, 3% of 50 million is 1.5 million. when i compare it to Canada it's a little different because the population density is lower but for the sake of my example im going to say it's the same. So out of 36 million, 4.2% are dead. Which means 1 out of every 25 people are dead. So that means that one person in our English class is affected. (Hope it's Brousseau) I hope that opens your eyes to the severity of it and you have to remember too, it only affected a certain area so it's not the entire country too so the number is even higher in the area but I won't go into such depth because I believe you guys get the picture.



That's my opinion on why Cyclone Nargis was so deadly. If you want to give your opinion on why you think it's deadly to help me in the future or you would like to leave a comment on what you want me to do for next time feel free. Don't say anything mean, I have a weak heart. I'm fragile. So leave a comment NOW!

Sources:
-http://list25.com/25-worst-natural-disasters-recorded/
-http://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/news-stories/asia-pacific/myanmar/myanmar-cyclone-nargis-2008-facts-and-figures/
-http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/05/080508-AP-the-perfect.html

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jared, your blog is looking really great so far. I love the background and all the visual elements you've added to your post. It's really cool to see you mixing in facts and your personal opinion all throughout the posts. I cant wait to keep reading and good luck with the rest of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jared, so I think your blog is really cool and I can't believe I've never heard of this situation. I think it's great that you've decided to inform people about the different types of natural disasters and also tell us what you think are the deadliest disasters. Well I can't wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Jared Belanger!! I really liked your blog and im glad im the first one who gets to comment! Its crazy how half the city can be swept away and 95% like you said became homeless and etc. All we can do is pray for them and pray that it will never happen again. Very good visuals to show different situations. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete