Summy

In this blog, I will be informing you about the top ten worst disasters in my opinion. There will be information about the disaster, why I think its one of the worst and other information such as how I think it could've been avoided.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Nevado del Ruiz volcano #6

It's been a while since I've written another blog post and I feel pretty rusty so don't expect much from this post guys and girls. None the less, it will still be a good one because I've gone with a different type of disaster compared to hurricanes and earthquakes which I'm not very proud of just doing two types. Today, I've decided to do my blog on a volcano. To be more precise, the Nevado del Ruiz volcano. I really don't know that much about volcanoes so bare with me on this one. There's also going to be a lot of photos in this post because I just love how volcanoes look when erupting.

    I thought this was a nice photo to just show what the mountain looks like in general. It's a nice looking photo as well so another reason I put it up.

To start, we will go with a little bit of the facts to just give the idea of what happened during this eruption. So the Nevado del Ruiz volcano located in central Colombia, erupted November 13 1985, and affected the small town of Armero. In total, the eruption had killed about 24,000 people and buried four towns entirely in ash in the Andes region. 

The eruption itself that happened in 1985. Although it looks small, natural disasters and nature in general, is a great domino effect.

There is something extremely weird about this eruption which to me, makes it very deadly. For starters, this eruption happened around 31 years ago from today. Even today, there are some disasters that have happened like Hurricane Katrina like in my first post (if you have not seen it I would invite you to do so), that we can not do much against and still get greatly affected by. So seeing how we can't do much to defend against disasters today, imagine how hard it is to defend 31 years ago. They probably don't even have the technologie and ideas to do so. On top of that, Colombia is technically a third-world-country. It is so much harder to get materials to build a wall (Trump) or something to divert the disaster. In being a little town, it's even harder because they have less materials in general and less man power to do so and they don't get much time.


   Just an image of what it looks like when lava starts to cool down
and start to solidify. It's quite cool how it layers huh?

What really made this disaster really bad is that it wasn't molten lava that killed around 24,000 people, it was a mudslide triggered by the eruption that killed all those's people. Now some people may think, wow a mudslide, so dangerous, I'm shaking in my boots... Well for starters, here's a video of a mudslide.

You don't have to watch all 25 minutes, but just look
how big mudslides can get and how they could easily
push your house over.

On a side note, imagine if you wanted to go outside to play sports or whatever you people go and do outside and your mother told you that you could but you had to prepare yourself for the cold weather because it was in the middle of winter with a temperature of -21*C, so you needed your winter clothes, winter boots, and your winter motorcycle (if you got the joke comment please). So you get ready and you walk outside and all of a sudden, bam! It's not -21, it's 30*C outside and you're sweating your ass off because you thought it'd be cold. Well that's how the people of the little town of Armero felt. Although some ignored the predictions of an eruption, others still got prepared for it and when it happened, they weren't prepared for it because they thought it'd be lava instead of mud rushing at high speeds. You see how that could be deadly.

This isn't the same volcano but ain't it pretty?

Even if this volcano did not have a big and/or beautiful eruption like the photo above, doesn't mean it wasn't deadly at all. In fact, it probably made it more deadly because for lots of people, underestimating kills. So I think with all my heart, that the Nevado del Ruiz volcano eruption, earned it's spot as number 6,

Thank you all for visiting my blog once again and if this is your first time, I hope you keep reading and I wish you guys to comment because you guys might have ideas and I'd really like to hear them.
To finish, I would love if you guys would vote on the pole to what disaster you guys think are the most deadly and not to base it off of my blog but your own understanding of the disaster.

Sources:
-http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/nevado_del_ruiz.html 
-http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/13/newsid_2539000/2539731.stm
-https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=is%20colombia%20a%20third%20world%20country 

No comments:

Post a Comment